Rare among town zoos, the Zoologischer Garten was founded in 1844 on the initiative of zoologists Alexander von Humboldt and Martin Lichtenstein and was the primary Zoo to be inbuilt Germany. Underneath Friedrich Wilhelm IV it became a joint project by Martin Lichtenstein and Peter Joseph Lennè who had redesigned the Tiergarten and allotted the southwestern tip of the Tiergarten as a zoological garden. Before this a Pheasantry had served the royal kitchen from 1742. The royal family’s personal zoo had been on the Pfaueninsel (Pheasant Island) where pheasants will still be seen strutting around.
Numerous architects worked on the planning of the urban habitats for the particular animal. The Antelope House dates back to 1872 and therefore the Elephant House to 1873. The Hippopotamus House (1997) is an example of additional trendy ideas applied for the well-being of the animals. Under a 13,000 sq. feet glass solar panel roof the hippopotamuses will be viewed beneath the water and therefore the animals are not any longer merely on show.
There are 2 spectacular main entrances – the Lion Gate on Hardenbergplatz, and therefore the Elephant Gate next to the Aquarium on Olof Palme Platz. The Zoo is visited frequently by three million animal enthusiasts – Berliners eagerly follow the event of newborns and up to date stars are the panda Bears and after all Knut, the baby polar bear who became an area legend and subject to variety of pop hit singles. Continue reading Berlin Zoo – Germany.